Saturday, July 23, 2016

RED LIGHT!!



Toyota jeep. License KY#446AFA

I think the question for people who persist in flying, wearing, and otherwise using the Confederate Flag as a symbol is, "What does it mean to you?"

I believe there was a time when a certain segment of Southern society still harked back to their own ancestors who fought in the Civil War.  My own family, on both my maternal and paternal grandparents' sides, have deep Southern roots. So when I was about 18, and I visited my Uncle Jay Dee Patton (yes. We are distantly related to General Patton) in Richmond, and he drove to the circle on Monument Street where the huge statue of Robert E. Lee astride his horse sits commanding, pulled the car over,  made us get out and salute, I saw no irony whatsoever.  But I was young, and I'd been raised with a white person's education in America.

That ship has sailed.